Vietnam is a South East Asia country with a coastline extends 1,650 kms from North to South. Vietnam has abundant natural resources, many famous scenic spots and friendly people. With stable politics, Vietnam is known as a safe and ideal destination for visitors all over the world. Vietnam’s economy is developing quickly recent years particularly since Vietnam joined the WTO. There are many foreign companies invest in Vietnam and foreigners who come to work or study. The number of international visitors to Vietnam are on an increasing trend recent years.
Almost foreigners who come to Vietnam need Vietnam Visa, that is a certified which allow to enter, transit or exit in Vietnam. Visa is often stamped on the passport.
Visa can be issued directly through Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate in resident country. Besides, it can be issued by a specialized agency, tour companies. If there is no Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate in that country, individuals who want to make Vietnam visa have to come the third country which have these agencies.
Vietnam visa exemption is applied to some special objects who are allowed to immigrate, not distinguish immigration purpose.
- Kinds of Vietnam Visa:
There are two ways to classify Vietnam Visa
- Based on traveling purpose, there are four kinds of Vietnam entry visa:
- Tourist Visa : applied for 1 month visa, allowed entry once or several times.
- Business Visa : applied for 3 months visa, allowed entry once or several time and work in Vietnam. The cost of business visa is higher than tourist visa twice.
- Student Visa : This type of visa is issued by Vietnam embassy for people who arrive in Vietnam for the learning purpose. The duration of a student visa is the period of the course provided by the school. However, the duration of this visa may also be longer than about 1-2 years depending on entry regulations.
- Transit visa : This visa has a maximum validity within 5 days. Each group of tourists must have a clear schedule and guarantees of travel agents organized tours there.
- Based on length of stay and number of entry, there are four kinds of Vietnam entry visa:
- 1 month single entry visa.
- 1 month multiple entry visa
- 3 months single entry visa
- 3 months multiple entry visa
- Vietnam Visa exemption in cases :
- Citizens have nationality Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Laos: visa exemption for visits of 30 days at the maximum.
- Citizens of Philippines: Vietnam visa exemption for visits of 21 days at the maximum.
- Citizens have nationality Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Russia, Finland, Japan and South Korea are exempted Vietnam visa for a visit not exceeding 15 days.
- Citizens of Brunei: Vietnam visa exemption for a visit not exceeding 14 days.
- Citizens of France carrying diplomatic passports or official passports are granted Vietnam visa exemption one or more times for a total residence time is not more than 90 days within 6 months from the date of first entry.
- Citizens of Chile carrying diplomatic passports or official passports are granted Vietnam visa exemption for a visit not exceeding 90 days.
- People carrying APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) of the member states of Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) are granted Vietnam visa exemption for residence not exceeding 60 days.
- For visitors travel to Phu Quoc Island – Vietnam: Foreigners and citizens of Vietnam have foreign nationality entry into Vietnam through an international border gate then travel to Phu Quoc Island and stay there under 15 days will be granted free Vietnam visa. Passports must be valid at least 45 days. After arriving in Phu Quoc Island, if the visitors want to visit other localities or stay in the island over 15 days, Immigration Administration will issue Vietnam visa for tourists immediately in Phu Quoc.
- Process of application for Vietnam Visa
The visitors can choose one of 2 ways below :
- Directly arriving at Embassy / Consulate of Vietnam in resident country to apply for Vietnam visa and get the passport stamped visa
- Visitors can take Vietnam Visa approval letter online through a specialized agency or travel agency, then stamped visa at Vietnam international airport ( this is Vietnam visa on arrival ) or at international borders. There are three international airports in Vietnam: Tan Son Nhat International Airport (Ho Chi Minh City), Da Nang airport, Noi Bai International Airport ( Hanoi ).
1) Apply for visa to Vietnam at Vietnam Embassy/ Consulate.
- Required to submit files : Visa application form, original passport (valid 6 months), 2 passport-sized photos ( 3cmx4cm or 4cmx6cm) and maybe some other papers as required by Vietnam Embassy / Vietnam Consulate. You can give profile directly to visa review department or use post office or send them via email.
- The processing time for tourist visa lasts 4 to 5 days.
- The fee of visa is different from embassies.
2) If you enter Vietnam by air, making Visa through Vietnam travel company is the fastest and simplest way (vietnamvisaapplication.com). This type of visa is Vietnam Visa on arrival which picked up at Vietnam airports.
The information must be provided for travel company:
- Full name
- Birthday and place of birth
- Number of passport
- Entry and exit dates
Vietnamese overseas are requires more information:
- Year and reason to leave Vietnam.
- Leave Vietnam by means.
- Name and address of relations in Vietnam.
Travel company will send you an approval letter from Vietnam Immigration Department. When you come to Vietnam at any international airport in Vietnam, you can get the visa stamped on your passport at Visa office by the approval letter with your passport (valid 6 months), two 4×6 passport photos (photos must be taken within 6 months) and visa stamp fee (the fee you pay by cash), then entry Vietnam.
3) Apply Visa at the land borde and seaports
In case, there are no diplomatic missions, consulate of Vietnam in resident country, tourists can get a visa at the border but you have to present invitation of missions in Vietnam or travelling by International travel company in Vietnam.
- Making procedures directly at border gate.
- Required to submit : Application for the visa (with 4×6 size photo); Passport or valid documents instead of passports; Browsing personnel of the Immigration Department, Ministry of Public Security.
- Time of making : within 60 minutes at seaport, no more than 10 minutes at land border.
- Fee of entry visa.
4) Vietnam visa extension:
There are 2 ways: The first way, you can go to visa agencies located in where you are temporarily residing in Vietnam to process visa extension. The second way, through travel companies, they have service for your visa extension. You must send a copy of your passport to travel companies 2 weeks before visa expires. Time depends on the type of your Vietnam visa. Usually 4-7 days.
Note: Apply for visa extension is not simple and quick. It can waste of many money and time. In case you are not sure how long you will stay in Vietnam, you should do (if possible) 3 months entry visa instead of 1 month entry visa.
III. Vietnam Visa fee :
- Stamping fee
Visitors have to pay in cash ( USD or VND ) to Vietnam Immigration Officers to get visa stamped on passport at Immigration desks of Vietnam international airport.
According to Circular No. 30/3/2009 66/2009/TT-BTC of Ministry of Finance prescribing the collection, remittance, management and use of fees for granting passports, visa and papers on entry, exit, transit and residence in Vietnam as follows:
|No.||Type of fees||Fee rate|
|1||Single-entry visas||USD 45|
|a)||Valid for less than 01 month||USD 65|
|b)||Valid for less than 06 months||USD 95|
|c)||Valid for 6 months or more||USD 135|
|3||Transfer of validity of visas or temporary residence from expired passports to new passports||USD 15|
|4||Temporary residence cards:|
|a)||Valid for up to 1 year||USD 80|
|b)||Valid for between over 1 year and 2 years||USD 100|
|c)||Valid for between over 2 year and 3 years||USD 120|
- Service fee
If you apply for a visa through Vietnam travel companies, you will have to pay additional service fee for getting visa approval letter by Vietnam Immigration Department. This fee depends on the type of visa, your nationality, the time you want to get visa approval letter.
- Customs Procedures
- All visitors enter Vietnam should fill out declaration forms for customs officers and baggage inspected upon request. Visitors must fill out information on entry and exit declarations. New declarations (CHY 2000) currently used as general procedures for entry and exit. In case of re-entry or re-exit without goods to declare follow the same rules, customers only need to submit the declaration of Immigration (yellow copy) or enter a new declaration. Mark (x) and record sufficient information in the boxes from 1 to 16 in the declaration. Guests will have to present this declaration to Immigration staff.
- Luggage and goods brought into Vietnam is personal property, and not in the group of non-commercial goods which are not allowed to import, are duty-free.
- When exit Vietnam, luggage of visitors declared at the customs office must be presented at customs again, except items already in use or as gifts.
- Visitors can bring foreign currency, gold, silver, precious metals and gemstones or plated with silver or gold-plated items are not limited but must be reported in detail on their customs declaration. Guests have their foreign exchange into Vietnam dong (VND) at banks, hotels and jewelry stores across the country.
- Visitors can bring quality souvenirs with unlimited invoices.
Visitors need to declare clearly in the entry declaration and customs declaration :
- Camcorders, recorders and other electronic devices not to belong to personal property.
- Jewelry (especially gold jewelry) and gemstone not to belong to personal property.
- Foreign currency, cash ( banknote, coins, traveler check ) over $ 7,000 or other foreign currency with equivalent value, Vietnam dong in cash exceeding 15,000,000;
- If visitors bring video tape , customs will keep it to checking and will return for visitors after a few days.
- Gold ( over 300gr )
- Goods outside the duty-free :
When entering Vietnam: Visitors are permitted to exempt 20 cigarettes, 50 cigars or 150 grams of tobacco; 1.5 liters of wine; and other items (not banned) can not exceed the total value $ 300. Guests are not allowed to bring into Vietnam: weapons, ammunition, explosives and flammable substances; fireworks of any kind; opium and drugs; toxic chemicals, the debauched cultural products inconsistent with the fine custom of Vietnam; Children’s toys have an adverse effect on the personality education, order and safety social … If visitors bring prohibited goods, will be condemned according to law of Vietnam.
Visitors leaving Vietnam with over 300gr gold must be declared and must be approved by the state bank. Visitors are not allowed to bring out weapons, ammunition, explosives, narcotics, antiques, wild animals, rare plants, and other documents related to national security. If visitors bring prohibited goods, will be condemned according to law of Vietnam.